A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Monday 2 November 2009

Early to mid 18th century equipment & accoutrements.

This is my knapsack with my blanket and oilcloth tied to the straps. Again variations of these packs were carried by military and civilians.
This pack is used for carrying the bulk of your equipment and food rations. In the bedroll I also carry a: wool shirt, wool weskit, and a wool Monmouth cap for use at night in winter. When travelling by water I wrap the blanket roll in the oilcloth, but when on foot I keep it seperate. If it starts to rain and I am still on the trail I can quickly untie the oilcloth and put it over me to keep myself and my packs dry, or I can set up a quick shelter where I am.
This is my haversack. This bag has a variety of names depending on who is using it and what they are using it for. Bread bag, food bag, it does not matter what you call it, it is generally used for carrying food rations on the trail or for foraging. It can be used to carry an extra water bottle or for collecting fire lighting materials along the trail. This type of bag was used by civilians, militia, and military.

This is my shot pouch & powder horn. This pouch has to carry everything I need to use & service my 20 gauge fusil. The horn is not attached to the shot pouch as some were later in the century.
On the shot pouch strap there are: vent pick, pan brush, powder measure, ball block, & vent quills. The shot pouch strap is finger woven in two lengths and then sewn together as some originals were. The powder horn strap is loom woven.
Not all shot pouches used a button closure on the flap, but I have one on this pouch. It is quick and easy to release and if I take a fall I will not drop everything out of my shot pouch.

No comments: