A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Sunday 6 December 2009

Mystery Costrel.

This post is curtesy of "The Reverend's Big Blog Of Leather at: http://leatherworkingreverend.wordpress.com/2009/10/18/costrels/

Can anyone identify the water bottle/costrel in the following photos. I hope to add more information on its construction later on, but from what I can see it is either leather covered leather or covered wood. No stitching is visible that I can see.






The Reverend Said: "The way the "foot" is done reminds me of the earthenware maniform costrels of the early 17th century from near London, but the loops don't fit that. The straps appear to have been done as paired slits in the leather and the loop stretched away from what I'm assuming is a wooden core."






No comments: