A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Thursday 22 July 2010

My First Powder Horn.

I made my first powder horn over 30 years ago. I did not have many tools, and was not sure how to make a secure plug for the horn, so I decided to use leather. I moulded the leather to the horn base and secured it by binding with cotton cord. Then I melted wax on the cord and around between horn and the leather cover. It was a make-shift job that worked out very well, and above all it was practicle and safe.
I have no idea if this was ever done originally, but it does show what can be done if you give a problem some thought.


2 comments:

Joel said...

No example may have survived but I should think someone somewhere used the same idea, people were used to use leather and waterproof it with beeswax, make bottles and such, so why not a powder horn. Nice to see it, Le Loup.

I've got a few horns waiting to be made into something, I wonder about a bit of wet formed leather now!

Keith said...

Not sure if you have made powder horns before, of course the ones I use now are of period design with wood plugs. The plugs must be sealed with beeswax, and secured with 4-6 pins, wooden pins being preferable. Never use glue!
The plug is designed to blow out if the horn should explode. This is not likely to happen, but it has in the past when people have failed to replace the spout plug, or if they forget to take the horn off when making fire etc.
At one time glass powder horns were made!!! They still make them now, but no one in their right mind would use one. Nice to hang on the wall as a conversation piece.