A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Tuesday 16 August 2011

Knapping A Sharp Edge On A Flint. [Also covers a gun flint]

Someone just PMd me asking for information, recommendation on percussion or flintlock for survival and how to knap a gun flint. I recommended the flintlock, because it does not need percussion caps, & if the lock should break on a flintlock and you don't have any spare springs, you can easily convert it into a matchlock and keep using it. Mountain Men and woodsrunners living in the wilderness kept their flintlocks, and never did use the percussion gun.
So this one is for you Duane.


 

1 comment:

Fimbulmyrk said...

Thanks again, you gave me very much appreciated info, for I want to have a go at flintknapping myself, and it might apply to arrows as well!